Friday, May 04, 2007

as first impression goes

there is this man in my office.

i have never been very fond of him. that is actually putting it mildly. simply put, he gets on my nerve.

even before i saw his face. which is amazing, if you think of it. i saw his handwriting first and as first impression goes, it looked terribly untidy and messy to me. it was not one of those doctor's handwriting type of illegibility, it's just plain untidy.

so, before i even saw his face, he has struck out in the impression department.

when i first spoke to him over the phone, he had this laughter which curdled by blood each time i hear it. it was mocking as well as deprecating at the same time. plus he never failed to punctuate each conversation with a few of those annoying laughters. there was no warmth, no genuineness, no friendliness in the whiny laughter. there was definitely no humour present. there was nothing faintly amusing to laugh at in the first place in the conversations, professional as i was.

it's all in my mind though, i've never let him see how i roll my eyes at each of his laughter. it's very unfair of me, i know, for i never took the time to know him better. frankly, i'm not even interested to know him better. yes, it's quite evil of me. still, as impression goes, this one was how it went.

anyway, yesterday fate saw it fit to drag me to the office and hand a payment to this same man. when he signed on the payment voucher and handed me back the cheque instead of the payment voucher, and upon realising the mistake gave another of those deprecating laugh, it was like a window suddenly opened in front of me. i realised, with a start , the reason for these annoying laughters.

i don't know why i never realised it. i must have been side-tracked by my prejudiced. this man is actually nervous when talking to me, or when dealing with me. i've never thought of myself as being that frightening, hence perhaps that bulb never dawned over my head. i stood infront of him and watched how he messed up the simple act of returning the voucher and keeping the cheque. i now understand why he gave those hysterical cackles when there was obviously nothing mildly amusing to laugh at.

it wasn't at me. it was a nervous laugh at himself.

perhaps it was my own lacking in self-confidence that made me unable to see the truth. perhaps in this world of human interaction, where we unwittingly add our own uncertainty and apprehension, we complicate the whole simple picture with our personal feelings.

then again, maybe i misinterpreted the whole thing and he's just an idiot.

16 comments:

zewt said...

maybe you're just pure prejudice. i am wondering why is he so afraid of you... i really wonder why...

Anonymous said...

Interesting.

ME, you must be either v fierce or v pretty? :)

me said...

dear zewt: that could be true, i don't deny that. infact i said i could be, in the post, right? first impression. i either like someone or i don't n it's not because of appearance. i like genuine people. *shrug* insincerity ruffles me.

hehe. i like to instil fear in the people i work with. it makes things go more smoothly. *wicked laughter*

dear pooh: haha. i like to think it's the latter..but it's not :-( then again, i'm not known to be fierce. rather, don't underestimate the power of silence :-p

zewt said...

i never instil fear in ppl. i have always been a ppl person. but sometimes, those juniors tend to delay my work... well, those days are gone. i am no longer working there. now... those ppl report to me are in ... india... and they are naturally very obedient... haha!

zewt said...

i never instil fear in ppl. i have always been a ppl person. but sometimes, those juniors tend to delay my work... well, those days are gone. i am no longer working there. now... those ppl report to me are in ... india... and they are naturally very obedient... haha!

Wuching said...

he nervous coz he likes u mah..

King's wife said...

Hmm...wuching's got a point. Maybe he's got a crush on you lah. That's why he's a bundle of nerves when dealing with you.

Jonzz said...

Humans cannot read minds. That's why we like to guess. And more often than not, our guesses can be wrong.

If you are really keen on ironing out your issues with this guy, maybe all that is needed is to just talk with him?

me said...

dear zewt: oh yes, your heavily accented counterparts. before you even think of instilling fear in them, you have to understand what they r saying 1st. hahahahahaha :-p

ppl person huh? hv you had everybody come and download all their problems on you, personal and official? there's almost an imaginary queue around the block waiting to dump everything on me. ppl tell me things i don't want to know, i don't need to know :-p

dear wuching: hahaha. that's funny. i'm not that thick-skin to believe i'm so irresistible lah....heehee

dear kw: hehe. like i said, i'm not so thick-skin to believe that to be true lah.

dear jonzz: you're one of the good guys aren't you? what's fun about life if you go sort out all your harmless prejudice? it's fun to just pick on something to dislike, for the sake of disliking it, you know, as long as it's harmless. i always say, too much saccharin is sickening. m i making sense to you? it's a way of balancing a too sweet lifestyle with a little opposite emotion.

me said...

dear jonzz: thought of something that tickled me...what would i say to him?...."i don't like your laughter. don't laugh!"...or "please change the way you laugh, it's really irritating?". that will be really cruel. :-p

Jonzz said...

LOL, tsk tsk tsk... looks like you actually enjoy having this little 'thorn'.

But for the sake of being good guy, you can always ask, 'I hope you don't mind me asking. But why do you always laugh like that when I ... '

Who knows? You might get a more 'exciting' revelation.

me said...

dear jonzz: haha, like i said, i'm evil.

puhlease....what will i do if he tells me he likes me? (haha, as if he will ever say a thing like that)...nah, it'll just make everybody more uncomfortable.

zewt said...

yes, ppl do tell me things. which is why i have so many experiences to tell in my blog... cant u tell? sigh... not very observant arent u?

Annie said...

Annie's recommendation?

Give him a BIG kiss on the lips and make him faint.

sereneannabelle said...

i know that kind of feeelinnngg!!

when u have the first bad impression of someone, the subsequent things they do always never fails to piss you off.

LOL!

me said...

dear zewt: hahahaha, i'm observant enough to zip my mouth when i talk to you next incase zewt starts blabbering it all over his blog :-p

dear annie: yehhhhh, someone in my team! we've got one vote and annie seconded it. it's confirmed, he's an idiot. hahahaha. pssst, actually i think it's the mohawk hair cut and the jagged knife i use as hair accessory.

give him a kiss? i rather kiss a frog!

dear serene: hehe, thank goodness u and i got off to a good start then :-)

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...