Monday, September 03, 2007

looking my age

3 days of non-celebration. for a country that has lost its meaning to many citizens. for a country that has made us feel like outcasts. i don't want to be a voice in a million. i'm not patriotic but neither trecherous do i want to be, ratting on the country that housed and fed me, so hold my tongue i shall.

i can hardly remember what i did for the last 3 days but it definitely wasn't crying 'merdeka'. perhaps the only significant memory of the ongoing celebration was the fact that i was awoken many times by the countless fireworks that went off that night. zzzzzzzz..... wha? ..... huh?..... ohhh.... zzzzzzzzz.... huh?.... again?..... zzzzzzzzzzzzz..... ?????.....zzz.... !!!!

my brain's cloudy again today. spent half the night catching the sleepwalking little one and the other half dancing hot salsa moves with the stupid pesky insect buzzing around my ear. can someone please inform her that i don't care for another repeat performance tonight?

i'm standing here, on the cliff of 35, overlooking 36 beyond the horizon, wondering when i'm going to pick up the art of covering my face with paint and powder the very minute i wake up to the second before my head hits the pillow. i treasure the minutes i save from not having to remove, wash and tone but the natural glow of a 20s is fading fast (if not already) and screams to be covered. it's amazing what a little black wand and some powder can do....yet i am reluctant to be their slave, succumbing to their demands day and night. still, at 36, isn't it about time i picked up the habits of a woman and desert the whines of the carefree teenager? i don't think i can ever get used to the idea of putting so much show merely for going about my daily chores. HD also probably wouldn't like the idea of waking up to an unfamiliar, smudged and bozo-the-clown overmade face. that says more for my lack of technique than anything else.

maybe it's the dressing that i should be targeting. 36 sounds like the age to be dressed in power suits or matching pantsuits. definitely not ripped jeans, tokidoki bag or colouful croc. then again, i'm turning a year older, not transforming into a boring conforming old stuffy duddy. so, i'll wait another year.

the hair probably should go, though. the till-the-bum length is probably pushing it too much. i'm not trying for the sexy (ok, maybe i'm still trying for the 'sexy' part) sarong party girl look but i just don't have enough hours in the day to sit 4 hours whilst some lady manhandles my locks, hence the length. equipped with a good cup of coffee and free wifi, that's a different question. perhaps starbucks should look into providing some extra services for customers like me. the last time i visited a hairdresser was in feb. the stack of dry hay is probably overdue for some tender loving care now.

a closer and more immediate thing that requires my attention is perhaps the papers on my desk right now. procastination. something that i will still do, whether i'm 35 or 36. that's nice to know.

but for now, i'll be an obedient slave. back to work.

10 comments:

may said...

I'd rather be wearing jeans, carrying a Le Sportsac bag and walking around in flats rather than looking ominous in a powersuit! LOL!

Happy early birthday. or is it today? tomorrow? hope you have a wonderful time!

Wuching said...

36? you're a baby, don't stop waxing your bikini line just yet!

Anonymous said...

Is this a subtle prelude to the big day?

I know a few ladies around your age who are still HOT (phew! *fans myself*), so all is not lost, ok?

Yeah, it's honestly refreshing to want to look your age, with none of that fake botox-induced or cosmetics facade.

Be yourself.

(I think that's how I'd like you to be. Heh heh!)

zewt said...

what a digression... from non patriotic merdeka confession... to rants about getting old.

if you think you dont need to put on an inch of powder to make you look good... why not? has anyone spoken out on the need yet? you only have to answer to yourself. besides... that kid whom you scared a few weeks ago... i think he is still alive since i dont read anyone dropping dead from i-tried-to-pick-up-an-aunty syndromme.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday, ME! :)

Hmmm.....u r the fourth blogger in my blog link whose birthday is in Sep.

me said...

dear may: high 5, baby! we'll grow old together in lesportsac and hippy jeans. *grins* then again....you're still much younger than me :-( thxs...but it's not quite yet. if i hold my breath between now and then, i'll die :-)

dear wuching: that's why i like to stick to wuchy. with wuchy, i'll always feel like a baby. *grins*

dear e: subtle? i think it's pretty obvious...then agn, when your birthday comes around, it's natural to deliberate a little on yr age.

36 is not that bad. but have those ladies given birth? having a child is STILL not that bad...but having 2....that's got to hurt.

the point is....am i looking my age? shld i be looking more like a demure sophisticated (vomit) 36 and not a looney ....whatever age?

but you are right. i'm most comfortable being me. take it or leave it. *grins*

dear zewt: the question is...which is the digression, merdeka non-celebration or the age bit? i know u'll much prefer reading on the former...but it's not my style. it's not called digression, it's called versatility. *grins*

you seriously think someone has told me to 'go put on some makeup' and lived to breathe another day??!!! hahaha. there are makeup and there are subtle makeup. a little wide-eyed mascara or a little fault covering powder never hurt anyone's ego....except for the cleaning up part. you guys have it good, spots and all.

as for the little boy, i think he has coverted into a homosexual persuasion.

dear pooh: it's not my birthday yet, dear...but it does fall in the month of sept. which goes to confirm my theory that many mummies and daddies were indeed very busy around christmas and new year festivities. hehe.

Admin said...

To me..women between 35 and 45 are the prettiest, the sexiest and the horniest!!! I likeeee!!!

me said...

dear ah pek: you've got good taste. *grins* that means i still have another years left. not bad!!

Jonzz said...

You're not old! If you are, so am I.
And I'm young, young, young... *sounds like denial, doesn't it* ROFL

me said...

dear jonzz: hey! you've got a few more years less than me.

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...