Friday, July 18, 2008

who's calling me?

someone called me, from some special cleaning company. a friend bought some special cleaning packages, for dustmites and what nots, and has given me an offer for a free trial. problem is, i'm not so close to this friend. took me a full minute, or two, to figure out who she was referring to. it's a free trial, perhaps she thought she was doing me a favour, putting my name under the 'put down another five names if you want to qualify' list but it doesn't quite feel like a favour. the phrase 'if you have friends like these, who needs enemy' comes to mind. perhaps if she had called to head me up first. suddenly, everybody wants to be a 'friend'?

received another call, from true fitness, with an offer for a 7 day free trial.

caller: your friend, alice, referred you to us.

me: i don't know any alice . well, i do, two alice-s in fact, but not in a way that they will dare to 'refer' me for anything. doubt they even know anything more than my name. and technically, they are not even my friends. acquaintance, perhaps.

caller: she stays in pj.

me: i don't know any alice who stays in pj. actually, i don't know where my alice-s stay, but i'm not going to start acknowledging anybody, especially when i'm talking to tele-marketers.

caller: alice, or wendy?

me: i don't know any alice or wendy. anywayyyyyyy....? wouldn't really matter who my friends are or aren't, you'll still harrass me, right? so, let's get on with it.

caller: were you member of any other fitness center?

me: yes, fitness first. but i've cancelled. so i'm not interested in the trial.

caller: why?

me: because i've got a gym at my place.

caller: oh. but you don't have a personal trainer.

me: nevermind. doesn't really matter when i'm not getting off my butt at all, does it?

caller: you can come for classes and all the latest equipments..bla bla bla.....

me: sorry, not interested.

caller: why?

me: ???? i've told you the reason?! pretty dense, hard of hearing or just poor telemarketing skills?

caller: ohh......

phantom friends. suddenly i've got friends popping up from every crevice and hole. where were those friends when i needed someone to chat with? where were those invisible pals when i needed help?

yet another lady called with an invitation to......wait, i have to look this up again, i see it a couple of times, i hear it a couple of times, but i still can't remember it.........jaeger le coultre's 175th anniversary.... much less pronounce it. she didn't tell me who gave her my name, though i would have loved to ask her. an invitation to a world-premiere exhibition and cocktail on the savoir-faire (the what?) of the Manufacture (why is it capitalised?). read this and you are no closer to understand what the event is about. i would read the rest of the invitation to you, if i can stop yawning. i don't own a jaeger watch, i don't know anybody in jaeger, any idea why i would want to go? me neither.

my name's popping up in the strangest of place.

2 comments:

Cocka Doodle said...

Hahaha! selling you gym membership would be like selling refrigerators to the eskimos!

Yeah..I get invites like that Jaeger thingy and I always ask them..."Why your watches so expensive ah? They tell a different time isit?"

me said...

dear kfc: why i cannot exercise one meh? *one more two more....*

ya, they tell time in mars, u don't know meh? must get one! otherwise u'll be late for that martian meeting. men are from mars mah.

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...