Thursday, July 16, 2009

like father like daughter

met her for the very first time last night. i don't like people in the political arena but she seems to be a nice lady. her first reaction though, after she found out who i was, was to pull me towards her husband. apparently, i bear a very striking resemblance to my father. NOT something that i am ecstatic over, my father being rather handsome when he was much younger but still a distinctly male figure with very male features. she looks more like her father, i get that all the time. mum has the double-eyelids, the mesmerising eyes, the sharp pointy chin and the slender thighs, so i don't take it as a compliment at all; more like an observation.

so, there i stood, infront of him. he looked as lost as i was. before his wife can speak, i brazen as ever, asked "do you know who i am?". that didn't sound right. probably sounded like something right out of the godfather movie. "do you know who is my father?". sigh. i'm not getting it right. now i sound like a lost 38 year old with severe learning handicap trying to locate my parent. "apparently i look like my father". sheesh. i talk too much. before anyone can speak, i'm blowing off a mile a minute like a steam engine. he looked really flabbergasted. there were 100 people in that room and i could be anyone's daughter. there were 6 billion people on this world, and i could be anyone's daughter. i don't play fair.

we finally put him out of his misery. oh yes, yes, you do look like your father. i just never thought of him. so tell me something new. i look like my father, everybody tells me. some console me by telling me that it's good fortune. i just hope i don't have his quadruple-turtle-eyelids when i grow older.

when i was out of earshot, she commented to my mother on my looks. translated directly, it will mean something like can see for a long time. i feel like a very thick boring novel. war and peace perhaps? this is the first time i've had that adjective used on me. you know what that means, don't you? it's a very polite simile for you don't look very beautiful, darling. me, i take it to mean classic beauty, like audrey hepburn. haha, how we console ourselves. classic or not, i don't mind looking like my father.

3 comments:

zewt said...

so are u going to invite me to whysokaypo.blogspot.com? hehe

licko said...

hey, count me in too.

me said...

dear zewt: i don't need advertisements, thank u.

dear licko: i think it's our parents' legacy to us, to look like them, and it's beautiful, ya, no matter how they look. *high 5*

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...