Friday, December 11, 2009

born like that

...is irritated by how compulsive my personality is. i can't rest easy until i have finished playing that pc game, until all the challenges of each level are met and the screen comes up with 'return to main menu'. it's like i need a perfect finish to each and every task and wrap up the entire thing in a beautifully wrapped package, complete with a ribbon on top. for each and every game that i come across. used to be when tetris was in fashion, i'll play tetris all night and day, until i see coloured blocks falling when i close my eyes for the night. it is weary. yet the compulsiveness is at the very core of me.

i recently did something about my passion for creativity; i joined an art class. but i can't rest easy unless i'm painting every second of the day. long periods of time go by in a flash when i'm painting. i walked in the door at 12pm and the next time i checked the watch, it was 5pm. where did the 5 hours go? i suspected that the venue of the art studio is wrapped in a time-warped zone where time is stolen without one's conscious awareness, where they take your time and give it to others who need it more (like when someone shoot a bullet at you, and you see the bullet whizzing towards you and the 1 second is like 1 minute, frame by frame ala the matrix), but then again that is just my theory. after the 5 hours, i go home and my hands are still itchy. it feels incomplete without a paintbrush in hand. i'm imagining strokes, blending the colours in my mind.

the only thing i can think of, to remedy this diseased mindframe, is to do as much of it as fast as i can so that i can get a burnout and at the very least, slow down. an overdose of sorts. at the moment, the overdosage is not working, i'm lapping all the time i spend on it with much satisfaction. such is the behaviour of one's compulsive disorder. whatever i get my hands on, i need to do it all the time. like the book i pick up, i'll read it to all hours of the night until i reach the very last page, until i know the ending. should i be attending some psychotheraphy lessons? to teach me that it is alright to stop, to wait for another day. virgoans are supposed to be perfectionist, or have an insatiable drive for achieving perfection. it is so tiring, i feel sapped even i as speak, as i recall all the ways in which i am compulsive. a few more days later, or a few more days earlier and i'll be without this obsessive streak. would life be much easier then?

5 comments:

licko said...

Don't take yourself so seriously. You are a true Virgoan. Perfectionism is a Virgoan trait.

Anonymous said...

I have given up the perfectionistic streak after baby..:/

me said...

dear licko: but it is irritating nonetheless, to myself and to others around.

dear shyanyan: hahah. do u not make sure that she has the cleanest environment? that later on, her playtoys are duly cleaned every so often in case she puts them in her mouth? that her utensils that you bring out are as clean? i think all parents are like that...to which my son's e.n.t. doctor now tells me, his nasal allergy is as a result of such pristine environment. so, remember, let her get a little dirty at times. :-)

Shyanyan said...

My god...u are all-knowing! I try to wash her toys in anti-bacteria soap every night. :| And my husband always incurs my wrath when he doesn't sterilise her bottles properly! haha..

me said...

dear shyanyan: hahaha. rofl. all mothers are like that. believe me, when your second one comes, you won't even bother. but i bet u hear that all the time.

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...