Monday, October 02, 2006

a few pointers

my bum hurts.

from another round of over-exertive badminton which saw me running around like a dog. in the midst of the game, an old coach walked up to me and started giving me some pointers. apparently, he couldn't tolerate the abuse i was getting from HD :-) or perhaps, he just couldn't take the way i was insulting the game with my hopeless excuse for techniques of the game.

in all my 35 years of playing, (ok, take away a few years since i didn't start holding the racket from the crib) nobody ever taught me the proper techniques. so, all these years, i have beeen running around that rectangular box like a mad-woman, doing all the wrong moves. i know there are those smart-alex out there who will pipe up and say that they have learnt their techniques merely from observation of professional matches. i confess, i belong to those dim-witted blur category, ok? so, sue me!

anyway, this kind, and ahem.... busybody, man taught me the correct way to hold the racket, stand and move. theoretically, i could see an instant improvement in my game. in practice however, my brain needs more time to communicate with my body. it's inspiring, i feel, to have a mere stranger take the effort to walk up, interrupt my game and point me in the correct direction. it's strange; the little ways that we can touch the lives of others.

the neighbourhood community organised a 'pre' moon lantern festival celebration last saturday.


i miss those days when we got together with all the cousins and walked around like idiots without a purpose, holding to our paper lanterns. when that got boring, we just burnt all the candles and melted them to a huge ball of wax. :-) hmmm....i think i may just conspire with the kids to do that this year.

did any of you look up on sunday to see this? have you forgotten how beautiful a rainbow is?

 Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

ladybug said...

Wow! nice pics you have there. :-D

may said...

when my brothers and I were kids, the Lantern Festival used to hold some significance because of the fun we'd have lighting all those lanterns. now it's just dinner at home, and mooncake-eating. nice to think of the old days...

Las montaƱas said...

play firecrackers more fun lah!

and burn burn burn all the lanterns after it got boring.

and oh my, ripe old age of 35 to start learning new techniques! :P where got time!?

Cocka Doodle said...

Invite me over lah. I'll bring my ultraman lantern.

mslenglui said...

dear ladybug: thanks for dropping by again. happy days make for happy photos.

dear may: awwwww! shouldn't let age stop you from making more fun memories. sometimes when we grow older, we forget how to have fun. want to burn wax with me? kekeke.

dear lm: oh yes, spending the night in jail is sooooo much fun. illegal here lah. and i don't quite fancy burning the house down also. :-)

ripe meh, 35? old dogs can learn new tricks. wait until year end holiday, this old dog is going to learn ice-skating! time? yes, that's the problem. i can't seem to find enough time to do anything. who speeded up the clock?!

dear wuching: my racket loh. and its partner, the shuttlecock loh. *sulking*

dear cocka: your ultraman lantern got humsup one or not? naked one which sing humsup songs, issit? LOL children will run away at seeing this wu-sow kum-yee-low lah :-D

seefei said...

badminton... good you are getting regular workout. you can improve your game by practising e-badminton.

mcake fest... good idea hor! ok, will go and get a few lanterns just to reminise the good old time.

seefei said...

good effort with the rainbow! it is a long time i havent seen one. wifey and i love such natural wonder.

Helen said...

Wow, I bet you really got stamina. Badminton is really exhausting! Way to go!!

Hey, nowadays those lanterns are all local made. Ugly like hell. THose imported ones were soooo beautiful.

me said...

dear fei: e-badminton? macam mana main? hitting a few keys will send the shuttlecock back to my opponent? cool! no need to run around like a dog anymore!

took rainbow photo with handphone. not very good, hor? but it really looked so beautiful in the sky, i just couldn't pass the opportunity. singapore has so many tall buildings, it's no wonder you can't see one.

dear helen: stamina ah? kakaka. play 15mins, rest 10mins, play 15mins, rest another 10mins. :-)

imported lanterns? i don't know which one leh. all i see around are those transparent colourful animal shaped ones and those like in my photos. post for me to see, can ah?

ah pek said...

go play with "lan" turn' better! hahahaa... sorry.. can't help meself.

me said...

dear ah pek: you very versatile, hor? when i say 'shuttlecock', you say cock. when i say 'lantern', you say lan turn. english, cantonese also you can. banyak pandai lah, ah pek. or maybe hearing not too good? :-p

Anonymous said...

*Whispers* So, you're 35? Still young, like me :)

ian said...

There'll always be freelance consultants coming our ways with enthusiasm, be it desirable or not. But it seems that you've got the right advice from the right person... Good!

Fantasy "Sticky" Flier said...

woh wayyy behind on yr posts, nice rainbow!

me said...

dear imd: *whispering* yes, lah. especially the mind. the body...not so young lah. following the pull of gravitity already. by the way, why are we whispering? :-)

dear ian: in this circumstance, he was welcomed. a little uncomfortable with his 'no-sense-of-humour' attitude, but he doesn't need humour to point me in the right direction, i guess. he asked how do i slap people? i told him i've never, and can i try on someone first? he wasn't amused.

dear ff: hey, you are back from your travels. good, many stories to hear. will hop over.

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...