Wednesday, April 11, 2007

another chef in the making

just like zewt, i find myself suddenly thrust into the position of designated cook for the household. however, unlike the master chef, i have no talent whatsoever in the given task.

everybody can cook...or so they say. yes..but the question is how well?

i have always believed that cooking is an art form and either the chef has 'it', or he doesn't. it's not simply a matter of putting things into the frying pan but knowing exactly which goes better with what and what will enhance the flavour is in itself a skill. of which i do not possess. that's why i have always been contented to let others carry out the task.

plus the fact that i am always surrounded by people who shine at the task so brightly that i am but a dim light by comparison. my cooking at most rates an 'edible' but definitely no 'second helping, please' or 'yummmmmmy'. no matter how often i try, i cannot replicate my mother, and my mother-in-law's, mouth-watering creations. looking at my shelves after shelves of cook books, it may be quite the irony.

HD, frustrated, asked one day why i am confident in everything that i do, except cooking. *shrug* i am most comfortable with cooking for my family; which includes the amiable hubby and the two 'apple-polishing' kids who will make a pretence of devouring my food. on and off, we will have a couple of friends over and i am still comfortable cooking for close friends.

however, cooking for my in-laws, who are very good cooks themselves, is a little more intense. for one, i do not know their taste, their likes and dislikes. for another, i am not crazy about getting on their bad sides. who knows what a diarrhoea (from uncooked food) or tummy ache may set off....it may just be the perfectionist streak in me, but when i do something, it drives me crazy when i cannot excel in it.

still, i will survive. i will adapt to the situation, and very soon too.

after all, i'm a virgo.

10 comments:

Admin said...

pictures leh? I see oni can deduce whether good or not.

sengkor said...

yalah.. whr got people post about cooking without pictures one..?

Anonymous said...

heeehee...ME, I understand what you mean. Cooking can be stressful. Wanna guess if I can cook? hahaha

zewt said...

yeah, have some pictures... make me feel hungry at least.

me said...

dear ah pek: ohhhh, u visual person punya ah? okayyyyyy, wait ah...i ta pau from the restaurant and pass off as my dishes, ok?

dear sengkor: use imagination cannot one meh?! imagine mine to be so delicious lahhhh....

dear pooh: hmmmmm...if i were to guess, i'll think u don't have much opportunity to cook, having a good mum and all...but i'm guessing you can...?

dear zewt:....u notice it's the guys that r asking for pictures?! i tot guys have vivid imagination *raise eyebrow*...in the face of master chef.....i'll feel inadequate. haha.

ok, in the process of collecting collage, stay tuned

Jonzz said...

Ah, virgo also? LOL!

So what's cooking?

zewt said...

we only imagine when there's a need to... you want me to?

me said...

dear jonzz: ahhhhh, another fellow virgoan. *high 5* that perhaps explain the demands you make on yourself...

cooking? myself, at the moment...i can't figure out what to cook for lunch.

dear zewt: only if your imagination is restricted to my cookings :-p

zewt said...

that aint fun

me said...

dear zewt: that CAN be fun. hehehe *raising eyebrows*

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...