Tuesday, March 13, 2007

a rose by any other name

i know my readers are waiting with baited breath to see what topic this crazed woman will bring them today. ta dah! i'm here, no need for clappings and hurrays. put down that tooter and settle down.

shakespeare, or more accurately romeo, said "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet". (yes. *raise single eyebrow* it is imperative to quote some literacy genius to begin with in order to sound more intelligent).

i've never been much of a fan of my own name. when i was much much younger, i used to cringe at my chinese name, a name that my father gave me. i thought it sounded silly, whimsical. later, as i grew up, i realise that my name was most often used by ladies of the night, laundryshops, floor washing detergent and even china's most protected animal specie. however, instead of hating it even more, i have come to learn to love it. a name that sounds like melodious music when spoken, like the sweet voice of a chime when the wind blows against it, a name that is never forgotten once said. i like the sound it makes when it rolls of the tongue of close friends. i don't use it much though and i like the idea that only those closest to me knows of it. it's at once both affectionate and warm.

in turn, i detested my english name. a name that is as common as it is unrepresentative of my character. a name that does not speak of the uniqueness of my being. during the earlier schooling years, i must have changed my name a million times; from the asexual patrick to the alluring caitlyn. nothing stuck. slowly, but surely, i understood that the name my parents gave me is a privilege, an honour, as terrible as it sounds. whilst my chinese name would be more illustrative of the aspirations my parents had for their child, the english was also a badge of the love they had for me. for each name, there holds a story; a story of how it came about, how much thought and love went into the process of selection, how it portrays the desires and hopes of the parents in the meaning. in the end, i gave in and kept the name my father gave me, or more accurately, his neighbour chose for me. *rolls eyes*

for 36 years, i used that name. everywhere that i went, everybody that i met, i introduced myself using that name.

only until recently did i realise that i am spelling it wrong. my father spells it with an 'i'. i spell it with an 'a'. notes addressed to me are glaringly written with an 'i' despite my numerous reminder on the contrary. i can't decide whether he has confused the original spelling of the word or he has always meant for it to be like that.

i am a little too old to be having an identity crisis.


15 comments:

khengsiong said...

China's most protected animal species? Do you mean panda? Are you Ah Xiong or Ah Mau?

Alright, I am not close enough to you so you won't let me know.

sereneannabelle said...

oh my goodness... you only know it now? haha. it took you more than 3 decades!! just learn to live with it, i guess. =)

me said...

dear khengsiong: phew! for a moment there i tot u were calling me ah kau or ah mau. clever boy. u're along the correct line of thinking....but tell me, does ah mau or ah xiong sounds melodious to you?! i don't think so *grins*

dear sweet serene: i think he spelled it with an 'a' the first 2 decades and a half....or maybe he just never wrote notes to me during that time. *grins* let me tell u, it's more normal with an 'a'. with an 'i', i'll sound like......i dunno, even stranger!

just me said...

you are still sweet "you" regardeless of how your name is spelt.

zewt said...

if one knows my name... one will usually say "where did you get such a name" (referring to my english name)... then i will tell them the how-zewt-got-his-name story. that's my story... or part of it.

what's your name by the way? and mispelled? hmmm....

me said...

dear just me: that is so sweet, thank u. i think so too. haha.

dear zewt: that's interesting....if i know the 'how-zewt-got-his-name' part.

ask and i shall answer? not this time, kiddo. what do u think i am? stoopid?! this blog is still anonymous, u know.

Las montaƱas said...

Hi Rose! wait, was it Lily?

me said...

dear monty: wise guy, it's tiger lily. grrrrrrrrrrrr......

zewt said...

so it's rose or lily?

anyway... curious to know why you linked me from your 'why so kaypo' but not from here?

thanks for the link though.

Anonymous said...

I want to know your name :)

Jonzz said...

LOL, LM, if it's Lily, then she accidently spelled it Laly? ROFL...

Admin said...

Let me guess your name.

It's either Ah Lin
or Ah Lan.

hahahahaa

Cocka Doodle said...

"China most protected species..."
Be specific can anot? In China, every specie is most protected.
Otherwise, the chinamen sapu everything!

me said...

dear mr zewt of many questions again: neither rose nor lily but as corny. :-p

i don't dare to link ppl unless they hv been hanging ard here for a long time. i don't want ppl to feel they HAVE to reciprocate and come visit. i usually lurk ard their blog quietly but got tired of checking every so often to see if u hv updated. the old blog has blogrolling which informs me when u update. *grins*

dear pooh: whyyyyyy? my name will make no difference to my personality.

dear jonzz: glad to hear yr laughter. hope u r better. don't laugh. u know my name...it sounds equally funny with an 'i'. :-p

dear ah pek: the names of yr two ex-girlfriends ah? ah pek sohhhhhhhhh....!

dear cocka: esp with cocka visiting there, their virgins will also fast become a protected specie. hahahaha.

zewt said...

i see... questions answered...

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...