Tuesday, August 14, 2007

quantifying attachment

how do you quantify an eight-year old relationship? an eight-year period of trust, friendship, acceptance and of seeing each other through some significant events in their life.

my domestic helper has been with me for 8 years and seen me through the birth of both my children and moving of two abodes. without realising it, she has become a part of the family. she has unconsciously became a part of my life, my lifestyle. the tales of what we do for each other will be a never-ending roll of destiny.

recently, however, she found a way to quantify this long and deep relationship. she asked for a 30% increment to renew her contract for the 9th year. not a single cent less.

i can't help the sense of betrayal that creeps in over me. whilst an increment is definitely due, a demand for an excessive quantum reeks of extortion. insisting on sticking so firmly to the figure and not accepting even a little less portrays her obvious discard of all feelings towards our relationship. a little sad at realising that to her it is merely a job after all. how can you see someone day in day out for eight years without growing an attachment to them? if only it had been so easy for me to reign my feelings.

with that one sentence, everything changes. 8 years of attachment trampled and insulted. all feelings thrown out the window. invisible strings of affection reduced to merely figures on a piece of paper.

how cold the world is. how materialistic people are.

7 comments:

lickoholic said...

If you give in, the latent bottled demands in her will creep into the open.

lickoholic said...

If you give in, the latent bottled demands in her will creep into the open.

me said...

sigh! she really knows to grasp me by the balls (not that i have any but that's the way the figure of speech goes). she announced it one month before her contract is due....a little too late for me to find a good replacement. my last renewal, i tell myself. for someone who can extort like that, the attachment to me is non-existent anyway.

Cocka Doodle said...

Let me guess...you've not given her any increment for the last 8 years. right? right?

me said...

you kidding?? i've given her an increment, a 1 month holiday, a gold necklace plus pendant, presents and souveniers to bring home EVERY time her contract matures.

seefei said...

follow the heart... kiss and say good bye!

me said...

dear fei: sometimes goodbye is the hardest word.

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...