Wednesday, January 16, 2008

horror-scope

sometimes, i don't even know why i do it.

it's right there, just beside the comics section. inevitably, when i've finished with the ha-ha's for the day, my eyes will stray to the side to check out what lies ahead for me that day. no matter how crappy the predictions are each time. and no matter how inaccurate and ridiculous they always are. even though i never really believe in it or take the predictions to heart, i am still tempted to check out my horoscope every day.

today mine read, "things look pretty good until someone would put obstacles in your path".

duh??

with predictions like that, even i can qualify for a horoscope writer. how about 'you'll be happy today until someone makes you angry'. or 'don't quarrel with anyone. it makes you unhappy'. perhaps 'the sky will be clear today, until it starts to rain'. what do you know?! i can even apply to be the local weather forecaster.

i can just imagine a lady sitting in the office somewhere, with a pencil stuck in her hair, bitting the tip of the pen as she pondered on what to write for tomorrow's prediction. or an alternative scenario of a chubby lilian too lookalike, sitting with several horoscope and feng shui books opened in front of her as she plagiarise a little from each. perhaps a whole meeting room filled with executives partying and merry-making as they take turn to give ridiculous predictions and see whose is preposterous enough to make the cut.

this addiction to the supernatural, the unproven is simply not in line with the sensible and rationale (how boring!) me. but still, i find myself drawn to it in little doses.

i remembered as clear as day the one time many moons ago when i checked out the local fortune teller in the mall with my cousin. a couple of naive (gullible) young girls. the fortune teller said i have an imminent danger related with water. strange how they always seem to say that. this was just days before my trip to port dickson with my friends. needless to say, i didn't drown in the sea. and i also didn't go into the water. sigh! the stupid things we put ourselves through.

the rest of the predictions, i have forgotten. i never seem to be able to remember any of these forecasts. they sounded like they rang true because i wanted to believe in it. i wanted someone to tell me how i lived my life, how i'm living my life and how i'm going to live my life. but in life, there is no short cut. your life is the way you want to live it. and you can't blame anyone, or anything, for the way you live it.

perhaps this is where i get off my bum and start living my life. but i still have that diminishing pile of work, awaiting my torching. my horoscope reading today should read, 'why do today when you can procrastinate?'

3 comments:

Las montaƱas said...

Don't waste your time. Come I sell you my second hand crystal ball.

Admin said...

Listen to my predictions for you tomorrow.

"You are going to wake up, go to the loo, piss and shit, brush up, take a bath, change your clothes, make breakfast, send kid to school."

Tell me I am 80% wrong.

me said...

dear monty: if you are willing to sell, your crystal ball must be broken. or inaccurate at the very least :-p

dear ah pek: hmmmm.....not in that order woh. does that mean inaccurate?

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...