Thursday, May 08, 2008

reflection

the exuberance of the young. the spontaneity. the carefreeness and the gaiety.

that's what i envy about them. not their youth, the smooth glowing skin or the light-speed metabolism. but to laugh like there is no tomorrow, until your side splits and your cheeks hurt. to play, play and play. to say whatever is on your mind, with no fear of repercussions or hurting others. to be innocent and to trust. to have all this cynism obliterated.

my worst legacy to my children is my coolness. my apparent rationality. how sad it is to be an example of logic, of reasoning, of all things proper. my only desire for my children, as children, is to be happy. and healthy, of course. not to mimic some pathetic model of adult behaviour. i remember a moment in time, long long ago, when i promised myself never to be an 'adult'. without realisation, over time that mutation crept up upon me. we are what our surrounding molds us to be, what our experiences teaches us. can we break away from all the unpleasantness and only allow the goodness to seep through? can we be that beautiful lily that grows in the filthy pond? sometimes, i feel i don't have the strength.

how difficult it is to keep a guileless heart.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not old, who says I'm old? I'm like Peter Pan, never age a single day!

Las montaƱas said...

eeuw... so scantily dressed!

and the para formatting all went amok!

Admin said...

well.. if you cannot be the lily in the filthy pond, you can always be the flower stuck on the heap of cow dung. Looks equally good.

Cocka Doodle said...

it was all that filth in the pond that provided the much needed nutrients to that lily so it could grow beautifully. Profound mou?

But I like ah pek's analogy better. Hahahhahaha!!!

me said...

dear wuchy: but most importantly, are you young at heart?? but looking at your star wars collection, i think you still are *grins* let's go play hopscotch!

dear monty: errrr....is this suppose to be for the previous post? there's no scantily dressed person here! *scratching head* formatting looks ok on my side. your computer perhaps? or your head, maybe? keke.

dear ah pek: i don't quite fancy the smell within such close proximity. in other words, chau sei loh. i will wilt.

dear cocka: wahhhh, kfc also can go deep deep one har?! true what u said tho. without the filth, how can i differentiate what is beauty.

of course u will like ah pek's analogy. chau mei siong thau mah. :-p

Anonymous said...

Thinking of 'late autumn'?
Don't worry, you are still not too old for that.
Go, go, lenglui go!

Annie said...

I think what we need is to surround ourselves with better people, friends and companions to keep our outlook positive and upbeat. All it takes is one person to make us feel badly about life. Just one. You find new friends ME. Except you can't let go of me (Annie) because I'm the best upbeat person you'll ever meet! HA!

me said...

dear annie: that's why i stuck with annie. you're the most logical, practical yet upbeat and optimistic person i know. the greatest balance. *grins* a little cuckoo at times though....hahaha.

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...