Tuesday, July 22, 2008

colours that make my life

sometimes you think you know yourself very well. but then you wonder, do you really?

the story flashes back in time. a simple enough story. i bought 3 coloured files a long time back. i then alloted it for the use of my family members; one for storing mum and dad's stuff, one for my brother and his family and one for my own family. one pink, one purple and one turquoise-ish green.

my favourite colour? when i was a wee little girl, like most other girls, i loved pink. i think it's a natural fondness for many little girls. sacharrin sweetness and all the kinds. pink bedsheets, pink pencils, pink books, pink bags, it stirs something inside with its superficial nectar. until someone accused me of liking pink, that is. even way back, i can't stand to conform. to be a sheep in the flock. me? liking pink like all the other sheeps? nooooo way. i chose other colours instinctively. purple. blue. green. all the other pastel colours. but not pink. deep down, i think i still do like pink, but i learnt to like the other colours too.

as i grow up, pink really did made me a little repulsive. pink clothes, pink shoes, pink bags, they still look sweet. but sacharrin sweetness is just not for me. i realised i love turquoise. that shade that is a mix between green and blue. not quite one nor the other, but also a mix of both. sounds just like me. i love the very idea of it.

back to the story of the files. i love turquoise. but not the turquoise-green file which was more green than turquoise. so, i chose the purple file for myself (which was my favourite colour at one point and is probably my second favourite colour now), the pink for my mum (which is fitting, i thought, because my mum is all sweet and pretty, though at one point in time i believe her favourite colour was, and probably still is, purple) and bro gets the green file. colour coded for easy recognition. or so i would have thought. what i didn't know was how little i understand myself. everytime i make a grab for my file, i have always chosen the wrong one, merely by looking from the colour and associating it with the colour that i like. every.....single.....time. wrong guess.

don't i know which colour i like? don't i remember? is it because i liked all 3 colours at one point in time or other. or is it because i've never really truly loved any ?

why am i telling you this story? because it puzzles me. i thought i know myself, but it turns out, i don't really. and also because it feels like there is something more to this story, something in the deep consciousness that is waiting to be exposed, but i don't quite know what. what do you think this story is about?

9 comments:

Admin said...

the story of a woman slowly going mad due to the prolonged deprivation of sex?

Anonymous said...

It's ok, all women don't know what they really really want..haha. ;P

Mamapumpkin said...

The rainbow petals of a vagina, which is essentially what women are made off. Hahahaha!!!

me said...

dear ah pek: i applaud u for your accuracy - the slowly going mad part, not the prolonged sex deprivation. what is it and men? they always think i'm deprived of sex??!!! some latest sexual fantasy thing??

dear papilio: haha, so true, so true.

dear mama p: hahaha, and i tot mama pumpkin was all sugar and spice.

Anonymous said...

How about just changing the files around or labelling it like the rest of us organised geeks!

Jonzz said...

Black is the best. Hard to see stains and wrinkles, HAHAHAHAHA

me said...

dear anon: u know the funny thing? i've got everything else around the house labelled and fitted into boxes. i tot for once the colours, and just colours, will be enuf. apparently colours is not my forte. better stick to labels...but how boring. it's like making a little bet with myself everytime i take the file...will i be right this time...? a little suspense, a little drama... a little fun.

dear jonzz: about the only colour i can't accept is black. i like black on others, i like the suave and cool-lookingness of black and i like the contrast and simplicity of black. i just can't stand the feeling of black on me - cos it makes my oredi hot (and i'm not referring to sexy hot, ok?!) temperate body feel even hotter. hot takes in heat *shrugs* i don't wear black much...but strange thing is i've got a lot of black clothings. go figure.

Anonymous said...

time change people change ma...

me said...

dear licky: and so taste also change. but to not know or remember your own preference??

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...