Tuesday, July 29, 2008

death of a cup

walking into the kitchen, i spied the percolator running with just enough brew left on the pot for one cup. my mouth salivates in response. i love coffee. i hate coffee. it's a love-hate relationship. but today i can do with one; it has been a stressful if not busy day.

picked up a cup from mum's cupboard. oh no, not that cup again. the one that makes loud disturbing music when the cup is raised from the table. 'music' being a matter of opinion; i see it more as noise. irritating rhythms associated mainly with chinese new year celebrations. tong-tong-chang. tong-tong-chang. the michellin man grins back at me from the shiny surface of the cup whilst i grimaced. my head is throbbing. who invented the musical cup anyway? who thought it was a brilliant idea to have some cup play the same music over and over again like a broken record while someone is trying to have a relaxing cuppa. someone enjoying a sip of drink over an engaging novel or a drink whilst catching up with friends. not exactly conducive with the senseless music interrupting everything from decent conversations to deep thoughts every so often. it must have been the inventor's idea of a practical joke to the gullible world, so eager to buy up any gimic.

i remembered buying one such musical cup for my mother when i was younger. perhaps one of those mother day's present. did i or didn't i? i can't convince myself that i was ever that thoughtless in selecting gifts. don't know why i ever thought it was a cute idea. don't see that cup lying around either. mum must have 'accidentally' dropped it one day when she had all that she could bear. i can see why now. my fingers feel very rubbery and slippery now too. you think mum will miss the cup if i murder it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know there were musical cups, but I can imagine how irritating they must be, like those musical cards after 3 seconds(and when you really want them to sing/chime/sound to reminsce, their batteries go flat).

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for them to come out with a musical toilet seat so every time I lift the lid the music comes on! not for ladies coz you gals always keep the lid down.

me said...

dear shyanyan: u didn't link back to your blog...trying to remain below radar or i'm reading too much?

haha, cards at least you can close them. cups *rolling eyes* you have to bear with when you lift the cup up for a sip. i tried to drink without lifting the cup off the table....can't be done, without a straw. sigh.

dear wuchy: hahaha, how irritating. i'll drown the toilet seat with piss if i were a boy.

Anonymous said...

Now I am convinced of your star sign...haha. You already know my blog address what...can I link you please? :)

me said...

dear shyanyan: ya, ya, i know your blog. was just wondering why your name is not a link, tat's all. hehe. born like that, you'll have to excuse my quirkiness. if it's my star sign's fault, i'm sure u can relate. if it was just inherent defect during manufacturing, i can't do much *grins* was going to link your blog too, i do enjoy it.

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...