Tuesday, October 17, 2006

a virtue forsaken

patience is a virtue.

yes, we have often been reminded that, even from young. good things come to those who wait….….blah, blah, blah. as you can see, i don’t even have the patience to finish that sentence.

strange. i’ve never thought of myself as impatient. short-tempered maybe, but even that has mellowed as i age. lately, however, i notice that i have a tendency to rush through everything. if my computer can speak, it will tell of the cussing and ‘accidental’dents that it has received for its’ sometimes temperamental and slow performance.

the first that went, i think, was probably my handwriting. i have forgotten exactly when my beautiful penmanship has degenerated into a time-rushed physician-like scribble. heck, even my 5-year-old’s handwriting looks better than mine. maybe i have the makings of a doctor! anyway, hence i no longer send letters via snail mail, or even pen memos for that matter. the keyboard has saved me a lot of harassment and hassle from weak-eyed pathetic individuals.

everything else came in a rush. my speech rushing to catch up with the speed of the train. even during my secondary and university years, the teachers had to constantly remind me to read at a more leisurely pace. hell, i can’t be held responsible for those slow-brained people listening. they have got to learn to buck up and catch up with the flow! professors are not excluded as well. *ahem!* it would have been nice if i had the courage to tell them so in their face then, and not just nod meekly.

cleaning and beauty rituals are not excluded. i believe spending five minutes making the same circles around my face in the exact same spot will not make it any cleaner than a 30-seconds super-turbo enhanced wash. standing under the shower for 45 minutes will not make me smell any nicer either, so why bother? if you've already washed all the nooks and crooks, you've already washed it! get out of the shower already!! forget about the massaging part, creams are literally just slathered on and left there to dry whilst i go about my other stuffs.

i used to enjoy reading novels, all curled up on the couch with a drink and a good book. now i speed read and skip all the 'non-essentials'. flip, flip, flip.......forget about all that description of the scenery, let's get on with it. not kissing her yet? flip, flip, flip some more. just like when i watch korean series on dvds. you know how slow those romantic lovey-dovey scenes can be, right? i can keep my finger on that darn fast-forward button for 15 minutes straight and the handsome actor hasn't even muster the courage to tell the girl he loves her. sheesh! i don't know why i still watch them.

eating is the other thing. i really don’t see why i have to chew one mouthful a hundred times if my stomach is suppose to be doing the digesting into molecules anyway. should i be spoiling that lazy insolent thing? most days, i finish my meals way before others and i sit idly by, twiddling my thumbs as they are still patiently munching on their food. the hot steaming soups are the worst but still, in it goes in a gulp.the roof of my mouth is so used to scalding by now. recently i've realised that my shoulder muscles are most tensed when i'm shoving spoonfuls into my mouth. stressed even whilst eating? help! i really need therapy!!

where am i rushing to? i don't really know. i will like to slow down. i really would.....but i can't. maybe there are just too many things i will like to do and they just can't wait. too many things to try. too many places to see. to many food to eat.

sorry, i have to rush off now for the next thing on my agenda..

13 comments:

may said...

slow it down, hon... where's the fire? LOL!!

I realised I've been rushing for time as I get older too. trying to squeeze in as many things in the shortest time possible. sometimes we can't help it; we're forced to. too bad we only have 24 hours in a day.

eating, now that's different... I take my time with that!

Wuching said...

maybe u need to move into the country where lives go slow so u learn to stop & smell the roses again..or the cow dung!

Kenny Ng said...

yah... nowdays do everything also rushing.

seefei said...

"good things come to those who wait" - true and it has been proven scientifically as learning needs patient for eg yoga. to reap benefits from any learning experience, we need time & effort.

but i cant see how you can be inpatient as most of your entries are well crafted. dont seem like the work of an inpatient mind. maybe it is the pressure that of getting things done that is getting to you.

work on the aggression part of your badminton. it may help you vent your inpatient and slow you down a lil.

all fail, follow wuching advice :-)

me said...

dear may: fire? it's everywhere!!!! look at the haze all around us! *grins*

don't know why time speeds up as we grow older. i thought this yr just started, and already we are nearly towards the end! sigh!

dear wuching: oh, i would so love to. my dream. i don't even mind smelling the cow dung, as long as it's non all the time.

dear kenny ng: ya, ya, even nature's call also must finish fast fast. kakakaka.

dear fei: but i want to do and learn everything, so i must do all of them at super-top speed. my entries well-crafted ah? hahahahaha. i had a 10min deadline to finish that post before i had to hand in my body and soul to my two creditors! of course i over-extended a little bit but not without them breathing down my neck. i think u're right. i like so many things done my way (which is the best way! kakaka)and i want it done good. toooooo many things...i'm running out of battery.....and yes, i think the venting on badminton part helps too. at least it loosens up those tense muscles. but smelling cow dung? erm....perhaps i'll try music therapy first? *grins*

Anonymous said...

What's the rush? To reincarnation? Hahaha!

I feel similar sentiments with you about getting all things done. Unfortunately I can never speed up and compromising the 'quality' of what I'm doing, if I may say so.

Maybe that is why I'm always late. *giggles*

Fantasy "Sticky" Flier said...

yeah my writing oso like chicken scratching these days, so how oso?

Cocka Doodle said...

OMG! Don't tell me you and lou kung jump straight to the copulation part without any foreplay! No wonder KY Jelly are so hot selling these days! LOL

Paula said...

My head is spinning. My head is spinning.. *watch Annie twirl and fall down* THUMP. OUCH!
Prescription for ME:
1. Less caffeine intake
2. Stop scrubbing your face down.
3. More alcohol intake to slow you down.
4. Breathe in, stomach inflates, beathe out.

ok. now go watch this little slideshow: http://www.thedashmovie.com/

Our company nurse emailed it to every employee.

sengkor said...

i realised things seems to be rushing in KL.. if u try smaller town, u'll realised how come life become slow mo suddenly..

Anonymous said...

ROTFL at the way your read and watch Korean series. If liddat better not watchlah :P

Donlah rush like that. Take time to enjoy the daily pleasures of life (I leave it to you to interpret that).

me said...

dear ian: wahhhh! u curse me to die ah?! *grins* another latey, huh? whilst u r savouring yr quality, some poor bloke or gal is wasting their time waiting for you, huh? *shakes head* poor thing. *making mental note to come late for any appointment with ian*

dear ff: register for penmanship class loh. if not go and register for that medicine degree quickly. it's still not too late. at least then, you'll have an excuse.

dear cocka: when i was writing, i figured someone will ask a question like that. and who better than cocka to ask a question like that. i can tell you the answer......but how much are you offering me for this expose?

dear annie: errrr....why r u spinning? u r making me dizzy, stop that. she hits her head and gives me prescription?! and i'm suppose to take it, issit? got 1 question though. when i breathe out, do i keep stomach inflated? or am i suppose to deflate it? sheesh! this breathing thingy is so complicated.

dear sengkor: unfortunately i'm a true-blue city-girl and have no kampung to balik. but i can imagine how time will crawl if i go back to places like....batu pahat. esp when i have to cross my leg and put off all nature's call because i don't want to visit the toilet that is wayyyyyyy out in the fringe of the jungle *shivers*

dear imd: kakakaka, that's what HD said! but i can't resist the desire to know what happened to the guy n the girl.

the problem is i have sooo many of life's daily pleasures i want to enjoy. *picks up flower, breathe,breathe,breathe, chucks away. moves to see bird in tree..one sec, two sec..move on again....*

KateGladstone said...

I specialize in helping people make degenerated penmanship better-than-ever ... check it out!

Kate Gladstone - Handwriting Repair
http://learn.to/handwrite

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...