Thursday, April 05, 2007

the beauty of a smile

the days are long, the hours filled with a hectic frenzy of trying to juggle a million things at the same time.

due to logistics problem, i have been fetching my children to and from school for the last three days, on top of my already filled to the brim schedule. it is hectic, to say the least, as they go to different schools and follow different time-tables. no sooner have i arrive home, grab a bite to eat, then off i have to go to send the other one. the routine pretty much repeats itself for the whole day.

yesterday, as i went to fetch my daughter for what seemed like the thousandth time, i was totally exhausted, tired to the bone. my spirits were down. my fight doused by the sheer distance i have to drive and the thought of all the work still waiting on my desk at home. arriving slightly early, i sat waiting for her in the car, my mind free from all the pressure for that short span.

then i saw... my daughter running towards me. on her face was the biggest, brightest grin i have ever seen. her footsteps were flit as they eagerly brought her closer to me. her pigtails bouncing in the wind and the breeze softly carried her tendrils in a dance. the glow on her face, the happiness to see me, i will never forget. she waved fervently and rushed over to where i was.

sometimes, i lose sight of the reason i chose to have children. when they are misbehaving, when they are naughty, when they throw their things everywhere, i wonder why. why is it that i chose the path of motherhood instead of basking gloriously under the warm sun in some exotic location.

on days like this, i remember. her smile, her ardour, her glow. it re-charged me in an instant and i am ready to go again.

that plus the fact that i wind down the windows and blast the stereo at top volume as i drive. it's good therapy. :-)

9 comments:

Jonzz said...

The Right Perspective. Makes all the difference doesn't it.

Sigh...

Anonymous said...

i will fetch my daughter from school next time. I also want to get this kind of feeling.

may said...

isn't a smile just wonderful? perks my days up too, when a stranger gives me a smile. especially when it's a cheerful bus driver on my way to work.

Cocka Doodle said...

Wah! you are one of those ah lians who has huge stereo speakers pounding away techno music at traffic junctions ah?

Anonymous said...

How I admire women who juggle family and work. Wow :)

me said...

dear jonzz: why capital 'R' and 'P'? got meaning one ah? name of movie issit? sounds good though, maybe i can sell that name to big shot producers. *grins* why sigh? what's up?...or rather, what's down?

dear why: you can try...but don't know if she will be as excited to see you. hahaha.

dear may: yes, but that's so rare over here. i'm lucky if ppl don't glare at me or give me the finger whilst driving. i guess the ppl over your end is more friendly.

dear cocka: you don't know my name is ah lian, meh? kakaka. try it. it drives stress away..it's so loud, yr brain can't even think.

dear pooh: it's just born out of necessity, nothing to admire about. you'll have a chance to be that superwoman one day, when you find the right one. *grins*

Anonymous said...

Lucky you!

Admin said...

wind down the window and blast your speakers!
people got call you siao ah!

me said...

dear licky: my luck is in being able to see beauty in the ordinary....

dear ah pek: call me siao? sorry, too loud, i cannot hear also. kekekeke.

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...