Friday, April 01, 2011

if you keep very quiet, if your face is unreadable, people will come up with their own story. it's amusing to watch it unfold.

i sat there, a million thoughts running through my head while my mother sits in the dental chair. even when the body is stationary, the brain entertains you and brings you to wild and wondrous journeys. i kept myself amused trying to figure out what the various buttons meant on the dentist's state-of-the-art patient's chair, trying my hardest not to eavesdrop on the conversation that the dentist is having with his assistant. i watched them trying to mould a denture, which is most amusing, very much like me playing with playdough. i try my hardest not to grin, whilst i am clapping my hands gleefully inside, wishing i could have a hand in moulding and shaping. i am sure my mother will not be amused if i were to help shape her dentures. while i am wonderfully entertained, the dentist turned around and said to me, 'this process is very boring'. to which i am sure the expected answer should have been, 'oh no, it is very interesting' but how very cliche. i can't stand cliches and so i pretended not to hear him.

he resumed his task of trying out the mould, pushing and pulling, taking out and putting it back in. after a while, he turned once again and said to me, 'i am sorry for boring you', which strikes me as really odd. are dentists providing magic shows for entertainment on the side nowadays?i wanted to check myself out in the mirror to see if my face really reflected boredom but i resisted, wondering what on earth made him come to that conclusion. this is probably the part where i should have denied vehemently, 'oh no! i am wonderfully entertained. having the best time of my life actually' but again, i am not one for cliches. people sometimes put themselves down, or the situation, waiting to be reassured, waiting to hear something positive. for someone as recalcitrant as myself, they are probably in for a very long wait.
manners require me to reply 'nooooo', but that was as much as my wilful self will allow to conform to society.

he being all nice and polite, and i being such an ass, even if only inwardly. i can't stand hypocrisy, i can't help it. don't put yourself down if you don't really agree with it, and if you really agree with it, who am i to disagree with you :-p sigh. false manners are so pretensious, such hard work and effort. a page in the life of a cynic. i am horrible, i know it. and i'm not looking for people to disagree with me. :-p :-p :-p

No comments:

in the name of friendship

i have met up with her probably 2 to 3 times in the last 35 years. she wants to borrow money, this almost stranger. i obliged, in the name o...